Mother’s Day is next Sunday, May 13. Traditionally the second Sunday in May, Mother’s Day became an official holiday in 1914. Mother’s Day gift ideas often center around spring and it’s an especially fun holiday to celebrate and shop for.
- The traditional Mother’s Day brunch or lunch, with a nice card
- Flowers or a blooming plant
- Seeds or plants for the garden, and a gift certificate for some planting help
- Blossom-scented soaps and lotions
- A pretty spring-colored cardigan
- Flower-themed cards or stationery, and stamps
- a gift in her name to a favorite non-profit or organization
- Alter flowers in her honor at church
- a basket of favorite foods
- a card filled with gift certificates for help around the house or yard or road trips to favorite place
- movie gift cards, or perhaps a NetFlix subscription
- Tickets to a concert or summer theater or trip to the Maine Botanic Gardens
- an appointment for a multi-generational family portrait
Experiences and time count for alot, but it you’re far away, helping your mom enjoy something that’s special to her is one of the great Mother’s Day gift ideas. Does she finally have time for painting lessons? Has she always longed to learn how to hook rugs, play the piano or learn French? Italian or Chinese cooking classes? An exercise program?
One of the best Mother’s Day gift ideas is simply to write a long letter, detailing a few favorite memories, and thanking mom for the time she spent raising you.