Cost of Senior Care on the Rise
I was recently checking out Metlife.com and found the 2011 Metlife Market Survey regarding senior care costs and their rise over the last year. I usually tell families to expect between 3-5% increase every year based on this survey it looks like that average increase is getting higher.
Even though these national averages are extremely high keep in mind they are much higher in the north east.
- The national average daily rate for a private room in a nursing home rose 4.4% from $229 in 2010 to $239 in 2011.*
- The national average monthly base rate in an assisted living community rose 5.6% from $3,293 in 2010 to $3,477 in 2011.*
- The national average daily rate for adult day services rose 4.5% from $67 in 2010 to $70 in 2011.*
- The national average hourly rates for home health aides ($21) and homemakers ($19) were unchanged from 2010.*
Genworth.com is a great site to check on average costs for specific locations. I checked on the most recent information for the cost of senior care in Maine.
- Maine’s average daily rate for a private room in a nursing facility is $288/day^
- Maine’s average monthly rate for an assisted living community is $4500^
- Maine’s average daily rate for adult day programs is $96^
- Maine’s average hourly rate for home health aids is $22 and homemaker services is $20 ^
*The 2011 MetLife Market Survey of Nursing Home, Assisted Living, Adult Day Services, and Home Care Costs
^Maine – State Median: Annual Care Costs in 2012 Genworth Financial
National Average*Metlife Survey Maine’s Average^Genworth Financial